When it comes to sweet potatoes, I one hundred percent prefer savory sweet potato recipes to sweet potato recipes. You can keep your brown sugar, cinnamon, and/or marshmallows on your sweet potatoes. I’ll take herbs, onions, sharp cheeses, or even barbecue stuffed into a sweet potato. So, when I saw some beautiful sweet potatoes at the store the other day I decided to work on a sweet potato salad. It’s like a potato salad, but with sweet potatoes!
There are two things I love most about his recipe. The first is that there is no mayo in the dressing, meaning it is great for a picnic. You can also leave out the feta if you want it to be completely dairy free. The second thing I love about this recipe is that it is a great transition food between summer and fall. Regular potato salad screams summer cookout and barbecues to me. Whereas, sweet potatoes are more of a fall/autumn food. Now that i think about it, this would be a great Labor Day weekend side dish. A great way to say farewell to summer and hello to fall.
This is such an easy side dish. The only cooking required is boiling the potatoes. You’ll simply dice a couple of sweet potatoes into bite sized pieces and then boil them until they are fork tender.
While the potatoes are boiling you can mix together the dressing. I like to make a vinaigrette from orange marmalade, but if you don’t have orange marmalade hanging out in your refrigerator, Nom Nom Paleo has an excellent citrus vinaigrette in their first cookbook that is also delicious as a dressing for this salad.
Once the potatoes are fork tender and drained, it’s just a matter of mixing all of the ingredients together and serving it up in a cute bowl! It’s perfect to enjoy alongside some grilled chicken.
Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Orange Marmalade Vinaigrette
- 2-3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2-3 Tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite sized pieces, about 1 inch cubes and place in a pot of water. Bring the potatoes to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, typically 15-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling combine the ingredients for the dressing. I combine the in a mason jar and shake well for all of the ingredients to mix well.
- Finely dice the red onion and slice the green onion.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them from the water and add them to a medium mixing bowl and let them cool for about 30 minutes (we don't want melty feta). Add the onions, almonds, and feta cheese. Then add 2-3 Tbsp of the dressing. You can store the rest of the dressing in the refrigerator for salads or a marinade.
- Gently toss all of the ingredients together and serve to your loved ones!